In 1914, work was progressing fairly well on the grade crossing elimination project in Jamestown. Mahoney and Swanson, the contractors who were doing the work, had completed 400 feet of the huge retaining wall which began at West Second Street and ran east. The sheathing for the next 200-foot section was in place and the engineers were surveying for the final lines before the forms could be put in. This section was built directly in the Chadakoin River. The sheathing was driven in near the shore of the river and the section inside the sheathing was excavated. They were nearly ready to place the forms. The contractors expected to receive permission from the Erie Railroad Company to start work east of Main Street in a few days.