LAKEWOOD- The Lakewood Village Board discussed methods to deal with those who don't comply with regulations of brush pickup last week.
Sue Drago, Lakewood trustee, said the village looks like a mess with all the brush. The board discussed what they could do - if anything - to enforce the regulations. There was a suggestion of stopping brush pickup, but the board didn't think it was fair to punish 90 percent of the village for the actions of the other 10 percent. Drago volunteered to write up a local law to address the problem.
In other news, Lakewood received a letter back from the Chautauqua County Planning Division citing that short-term rentals would have no significant county-wide or inter-community impact, and that the proposal would be a matter of local concern. The board also issued a negative declaration for short-term rentals, stating it would have no environmental impacts.
A special use permit fence application at 19 Lowe Ave. was approved at a public hearing. The permit was to erect approximately 160 lineal feet of a 6-foot high privacy fence as an enclosure for a couple of dogs. This would also act as a buffer between the adjacent commercial district and the residential property.
Thomas Pilling, public works supervisor, said there was normal flooding across Lakewood with the exception of the boat ramps, which were underwater in some places during the recent storm. Pilling also spoke of the giant tree which fell due to a lightning strike and knocked out electricity in a large part of Lakewood.
"I think it is time to commend your department on the work that has been done in the last three years," said Mayor David Wordelmann. "... The good news is that the only flooding we really had - and it's not good news to have flooding - was the mall (parking lot). The mall, of course, is built on a (swampy area). And it wasn't bad at all. ... We didn't have the flooding we normally do."
A Lakewood resident spoke up saying because the electricity was knocked out, a lot of residents' basements flooded due to sump pumps not working.
There was some discussion during the work session regarding the replacement of Charlie Smith. Busti appointed Jeff Swanson as a temporary inspection officer through July 23. At that time the appointment will be provisional until a code enforcement exam is offered. The village board voiced a desire that they would like to be part of the hiring process considering this would be a shared service. They also discussed how their 20 hours would and could be used, and if it would be enough since Smith admitted that even though he's supposed to work 20 hours a week, he works closer to 30. Wordelmann said the worst case scenario is that the village backs out of the deal, but says he doubts it will come to that.
According to Eileen Powers from the Chautauqua Home Rehabilitation and Improvement Corporation program office in Mayville, all pre-applications will likely be due by August or September. So far, the village clerk's office has handed out nearly 50 pre-applications. CHRIC will then put out a request for proposal and the next step will be to conduct a public hearing to officially apply for the block grant funding, followed by developing a fair housing plan for Lakewood.
Lakewood will be staying with Casella Waste Services for their garbage provider. The metal and junk pick-up will be conducted the week of June 9.
The village board authorized Village Treasurer Andrea Windoft to create a trust and agency savings account into which donations toward a new history scholarship fund will be deposited. The scholarship was established at the request of Village Historian Susan Lane and will be awarded to a Southwestern Central School graduating senior who has chosen a career path related to history.
The board also authorized the Jamestown YMCA to utilize Richard O. Hartley Park as the stage for a Pilates program on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-7:30 p.m. and a "bootcamp" on Thursday mornings from 9:30-10:30 a.m. during the summer months.
A public hearing on the proposed Local Law No. 3, which will provide for the administration and enforcement of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, was set for June 9 at 6:45 p.m.