Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

In Years Past

May 18, 2014
Post-Journal

In 1914, Miss Helena Soderland, a woman about 60 years of age, was terribly burned in a gas explosion which took place shortly before 9:30 Sunday morning in the basement rooms in which she lived at 134 Stowe St., Jamestown. She was hurried to the Jones Hospital where she died at 11 in the morning. The explosion was heard blocks away and sounded very much like a blast of dynamite in the stone quarry near the Chadakoin. The east wall of the basement was bulged out by the force of the shock. Furniture in the room was blown to pieces. It was believed that a short rubber hose leading from a side gas light to a hot plate became disconnected, allowing gas to escape. When Miss Soderland went to light a fire, it caused the explosion.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web