In 1914, the Jamestown Board of Health in its wisdom decreed that people must have decent garbage cans that could be covered up and kept free from flies. It was decided that an old ash barrel or dry goods box was not suitable to the purpose and with due formality a resolution was introduced and adopted requiring that covered cans be provided. Some residents of the Briggs block did not comply. It was easier to throw the garbage over into the next lot than to fuss to pack it away in a garbage can. Good garbage cans were provided by the city but the admonition was not heeded. According to the latest report, the practice of dumping garbage in the neighboring cow pasture was continued and the nice, new shiny cans which were provided were taken into the house and used for tables.