In 1914, an alarm of fire was turned in from The Journal office in Jamestown shortly before noon when the motor which furnished power for the elevator in the building short circuited and burned out. The burning oil and connections made quite a smudge, giving the appearance of a good blaze. The automobile chemical truck and the hook and ladder truck stationed at the city building responded and arrived on the scene in less than three minutes but there was nothing for the firemen to do, the fire having burned itself out. The damage was limited to the motor. Considerable inconvenience resulted from the necessity of carrying the heavy forms from the composing room down three flights of stairs to the press room in the basement.