Two dogs died in a first-floor apartment fire Monday night.
At 6:13 p.m., Jamestown Fire Department responded to a call of a structure fire at the intersection of West Eighth and Cherry streets. While all tenants made it out of the building, two dogs perished in the fire.
The residence was emitting black smoke which caught the attention of a passerby who stopped and called the fire department. A resident living in the front apartment said his dog began acting funny, also alerting him to the fire in the rear apartment.
According to Jamestown Battalion Chief Roger Sigular, the cause of the fire was due to improperly discarded smoking materials. The fire started in the living room area of the first-floor apartment, which sustained fire and smoke damage.
Members of the Southwestern American Red Cross Disaster Team responded to provide disaster relief following the fire for the family of four. Temporary housing, clothing and meals are services typically offered to address emergency needs. The local Red Cross chapter will continue working with the individuals and their recovery process if additional services or referrals are necessary.
All disaster assistance offered by the American Red Cross is complimentary and made possible by contributions from the American people and residents of Chautauqua County.