A 25-year-old Jamestown woman died Wednesday morning after an unattended cooking fire spread through her first-floor apartment.
According to the Jamestown Fire Department, fire crews responded to the residence at 105 Stowe St. at approximately 7:02 a.m. The victim - whose identity was not released - was found on the first floor of the four-unit apartment. Responders were able to remove her from the building, but were not able to revive her. The exact cause of death was not released.
The fire was mostly isolated to the first floor, said Chet Harvey, deputy fire chief of the Jamestown Fire Department. Although two other residents were inside the apartment at the time, no other injuries were reported.
The Jamestown Fire Department responded to an unattended cooking fire at 105 Stowe St. on Wednesday morning.
P-J photo by A.J. Rao
Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire with a portable fire extinguisher, Harvey said.
According to the Jamestown Police Department, fire investigators determined that the cause of the blaze was an unattended cooking fire from the kitchen.
Members of the Southwestern New York American Red Cross Disaster Team were notified to provide disaster relief.