Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

In Years Past

January 26, 2014
The Post-Journal

In 1914, fire at 3 a.m. Sunday destroyed the Mayville House, the principal hotel of that village and a landmark of more than countywide reputation. The blaze was a fierce one. From the time Charles Caler, a boarder at the hotel, discovered the fire, until the building was a mass of smoldering ruins was less than two hours. Only the best of work by the three volunteer fire companies of Mayville prevented the destruction of adjoining buildings. The old Crossgrove meat market, standing across a narrow alley to the south, was badly scorched and at times six lines of hose dumped tons of water into that corner of the hotel and over the meat market building and it did not take fire. Sheriff Anderson was the first person from the outside to get on the scene. He made a trip through the hotel, visiting every room to be certain every person was out of the place.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web