In 1913, while Warren had been visited by many disastrous conflagrations in the oil refining plants of the town in the past, never before had so many men been seriously burned as in Monday's fire at the Wilburine Oil Works and never in the history of this company had they had a fire where it was found necessary to call in the aid of the city fire department. The fire was confined to the wash house, where the ground bone, which was used in filtering oil, was washed in benzine. Carl Forsberg was fatally burned. The places on his body where there were no burns were on the soles of his feet and the top of his head, which were protected by his hat and shoes. The loss occasioned by the fire would amount to $1,000.
Chief Game Protector F.W. Hamilton of Buffalo made his fourth visit to Jamestown in connection with the pollution of the Chadakoin River and the killing of the fish therein recently. Hamilton had been here before, called by the local protector, W.R. Clark, who reported the wholesale slaughter of the fish. Hamilton stated that the law was very clear and emphatic on this subject, making it an offense punishable by a fine of $500 to dump any substance in a stream, public or private, which killed the fish in that stream. The work of the game protector was to establish the fact of such pollution and the fact that it was the substance dumped into the stream which actually killed the fish. In one case, he stated, quantities of sulfuric acid were dumped into the water from metal furniture companies of the upper sections of the stream.
In 1938, Thomas E. Dewey had opened his campaign for the governorship with an attack on alleged political corruption in New York state. The Republican gubernatorial nominee charged there was "a mockery of the election laws" in Albany and indicated he would make accusations against other city governments, as he opened his campaign Friday with an address sponsored by Republican women's clubs. The vote registration in Albany, Dewey said, "has never quite exceeded the adult population of the city, but it has often come very close to it."
With approximately 6,000 persons taxing its capacity, Jamestown High School's new $40,000 athletic stadium was formally dedicated Friday evening when Jamestown and Dunkirk teams battled to a 6-6 tie in the first night game played in this city. Long before the time scheduled for the start of the colorful occasion, a large portion of the crowd had assembled at the entrances, where considerable delay was experienced even by persons who had purchased tickets in advance. The large crowd was fairly well-handled by police and schoolboy assistants but there was some confusion in the reserved seat sections. The most congestion occurred at the Institute Street gate where facilities proved entirely inadequate for taking care of the steady influx of cash customers. Cars were parked for many blocks in the vicinity of the stadium.
In 1963, Chautauqua County recorded its 16th and 17th traffic fatalities of 1963 the previous day when separate motor vehicle accidents occurring within half an hour of each other, claimed the lives of a 13-year-old bicyclist and a 78-year old pedestrian. Gordon Alvin Wood, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alvin J. Wood, Falconer-Kimball Stand Road was fatally injured when he lost control of a bicycle he was riding near his home and rode into the path of a station wagon traveling north. One of eight children in his family, Alvin was a seventh-grade student at Falconer Junior High School. Gustafson, a retired housekeeper, was fatally injured at 4:20 p.m. when she was struck by an automobile while attempting to cross West Main Street at the corner of Phetteplace in Falconer.
Four samples of a smoked fish product suspected by federal officials of being the cause of fatal food poisoning in other states within the past week, were recovered from a food distributor in Jamestown and sent to Albany for analysis, according to an announcement by Dr. Archibald Dean, Buffalo state regional health officer. Dean's statement was confirmed shortly before noon by Dr. Lyle Franzen, state health officer for the Jamestown district. He said the samples of the suspected product were located by Ferdinand Weiner, district sanitary engineer, who was assisted in contacting local food brokers and supermarkets by Richard Vance, city sanitarian. The samples were sent out to determine whether food distributors would be interested in handling the product and were not intended to be placed on sale. Four persons - two in Tennessee and two in Michigan - had died within the past week of food poisoning believed to have resulted from eating the product in question.