In 1913, an attempt to wreck the plant of the Potter Enterprise, published in Coudersport, Pa., was made early this day. The dynamite had been placed under the typesetting machines. The side of the building was blown out but the machines escaped injury. No one was in the building at the time. The Enterprise was published by M.T. Stokes, who was formerly engaged extensively in newspaper publishing in Ohio. The paper had been conducting a very vigorous campaign on local issues. A reward of $500 had been offered by the county commissioners for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for the outrage.
The grand jury at Little Valley had completed its work and before the adjournment of the supreme court a number of those against whom indictments were found had been arraigned and sentenced. Patrick Bagley, who committed a cowardly assault on Minnie C. Shoemaker at Riverside, slashing her so with a knife that for a time her life was despaired of, pleaded guilty to assault in the first degree and was sentenced to not less than one or more than two and a half years in Auburn. Spencer Burrows was indicted for not only bigamy but for abduction as well, both crimes having been alleged to have been committed at Olean. He entered a plea of not guilty to each and was held to await the action of the county court.
In 1938, the first assembly of the Falconer school year was presented by the fifth grade of that school under the direction of Ruth Smith. The program, which included only the boys, climaxed a study of Robin Hood which had been in progress for the past few weeks. The primary and intermediate grades would take turns in giving chapel programs on alternate Fridays. Parents were invited to attend all these exercises. The scenes from Robin Hood were: Robin Hood Meets Little John, Robin Hood Meets Will Scarlet, Robin Hood Frees the Widows Three Sons and The Conclusion. The safety patrol of the North Side school had been elected by the pupils of that school to serve for the rest of the school year. These boys did not stop automobiles but told the children when to cross the street. They were on duty at the North Work Street crossing opposite the school both when the children arrived and were dismissed from school.
Jamestown General Hospital's new maternity annex, built and equipped at an approximate cost of $125,000, was opened to citizens of Jamestown for the first time on the previous afternoon as nurses of the institution and members of the health and hospital boards conducted the visitors on inspection tours of the three-floor structure. No formal program was arranged in connection with the opening. It was the belief of the board committee that the public should be given the opportunity without fanfare to visit and inspect the newest addition to the municipality's hospital enterprise. The structure consisted of three stories and a basement, all but the latter being completed and ready for use. Purchases of new equipment had been held to a minimum with only that being needed having been bought in order to cut down the cost to the taxpayers.
In 1963, the U.S. Marine Corps, not known for surrendering much, surrendered a 45-star American flag to the city of Jamestown at a ceremony in Mayor William D. Whitehead's office. The flag, made in 1896 in Jamestown by Mathias C. Holmes, proprietor of Holmes Awning Works Shop, 114 East Third St., was returned to the city by Capt. A.S. Reynolds, Marine Corps Recruiting Center, Buffalo. Reynolds, accompanied by Jamestown's two recruiters, T-Sgt. Chester B. Alligood and Sgt. Paul Chabot, presented the flag to Whitehead, who in turn presented it to Arthur Wellman, who accepted on behalf of the Fenton Historical Society.
A two-year building and expansion program of upward of $750,000 would be inaugurated by Kling Factories, Inc., a division of Baumritter Corporation, New York City, furniture manufacturer. Kling Factories were purchased by Baumritter Corporation nearly two years previously. Kling Factories manufactured cherry and maple bedroom and dining room Colonial groupings. The announcement was made by Nathan S. Ancell, New York City, Baumritter corporation president, following an inspection of the three factories here in Mayville, Falconer and Frewsburg. The three plants employed about 450 workmen.