In 1913, the gasoline launch, Madge, one of the speediest boats of the class owned in this end of Chautauqua Lake, burned to the water line when off Lakewood late Saturday afternoon. In the boat at the time was its owner, D. C. Allen of the Bouck-Allen Boat Co., and his wife. Both had narrow escapes from death both by fire and by drowning and Mr. Allen was so painfully burned about the face and hand that the services of a physician were needed. There was considerable mystery about how the boat caught fire. One report said that a back fire communicated to the gasoline tank, which exploded, enveloping the front of the boat. Another report stated that although a number of smaller boats were near the scene of the accident, no explosion was heard.