100 Years Ago
In 1913, the Spanish War Veterans' field music band had ordered new uniforms for its 24 members and would wear them for the first time in the parade in Jamestown on Memorial Day. The uniforms were very similar to the full dress uniforms of the National Guard of New York, consisting of dark blue coats with white facings; light blue trousers with white stripes and dark blue caps of the bell crown pattern, with two white stripes and in the front a device consisting of an eagle and the number "45," this being the number of Samuel M. Porter camp, United Spanish War Veterans of Jamestown.
That the present cold snap was giving the people very unseasonable weather was evident from reports that had been received at The Journal office this day. One man reported that water had frozen a quarter of an inch in thickness in Jamestown. Another man reported that the water in a dish in his hen house was frozen over. Whether vegetation was far enough advanced to suffer would be determined later. Reports by telegraph received indicated the cold wave covered a good section of the state.
75 Years Ago
In 1938, Lawrence E. Lamb, proprietor of Hawkins Restaurant on East Third Street in Jamestown was freed in city court from a charge that he violated the state labor law by keeping a waitress at work after midnight. The case was dismissed by Judge Allen E. Bargar upon recommendation of Vincent A. Tauriello, assistant to Attorney General John J. Bennett, Jr., who prosecuted the case when it was tried in city court a fortnight ago. Because he had sleeping rooms for rent in connection with the restaurant, Lamb maintained that he was entitled to operate under the rules governing hotels rather than those governing restaurants.
A proposal to establish a municipal milk plant at an estimated total cost of $400,000 was referred by the Jamestown City Council to its gas committee which had under consideration plans for a $1,200,000 municipal gas plant. The proposal was submitted by Councilman Gust C. Peterson in the form of a resolution. A chorus of laughter greeted a suggestion by President Clark that the matter be referred to the Gas Committee. "You can laugh all you want to, but I think the matter would be in the hands of a pretty good committee," commented Peterson.
50 Years Ago
In 1963, the wheels of partisan politics in Jamestown were beginning to turn and were geared to gain momentum steadily before reaching top speed by election day Nov. 5. City Democrats held the first in a series of ward meetings designed to explain the mechanics of running in the Sept. 5 primaries. The session was held at the home of Joseph C. Spitale, 176 Barrows St., Fourth Ward chairman. Daniel R. Larson, city Democratic chairman, said similar meetings would be scheduled in the remaining five wards, possibly concluding by the end of the following week.
A fire at the Mundane Company, Central Avenue, Brocton, was believed to have started from an overheated motor of a blower. Thirty men of the Brocton Fire Department under the direction of assistant fire chief Donald MacFadden were called to the frame structure at about 9:30 a.m. The fire was confined to a chute and area between the first and second floors of the building formerly occupied by the Crandall Panel Works. The Mundane Company manufactured raw plastic material.
25 Years Ago
In 1988, Mayor Steven B. Carlson made a strong pitch for merging Jamestown General and WCA hospitals into "a single health care organization" at Jamestown's City Council meeting. The recommendation grew out of severe financial problems at JGH. The hospital had lost money every year since 1976 and had to receive taxpayer support to finance its operation, according to Carlson.
A fast-moving storm that created a lot of sound and fury the previous night, resulted in few problems, however, according to spokesmen for area agencies. Albert J. Frisina, regional consumer services manager with Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.'s Dunkirk office said the utility experienced no power interruptions as a result of the inclement weather. He reported a problem with an unsafe tree leaning against wires on the Gleason Road near Ashville was taken care of without any loss of service.