The value of New York's 2012 fruit production, including tree fruit, berries and grapes, totaled $323 million according to King Whetstone, U.S. Agriculture Department National Agricultural Statistics Service, New York Field Office director.
The value of utilized production was above the previous year for apples.
The 2012 apple crop in New York decreased 41 percent to 720 million pounds. This year's utilized apple production, based on packinghouse door equivalent returns, totaled $250 million, 2 percent more than the 2011 crop value. New York ranks second in apple production behind Washington.
New York's utilized grape production decreased 40 percent from 2011 to 112,000 tons. Fresh grapes totaled 3,000 tons while 109,000 tons were crushed by wineries and processors. Grapes utilized for juice accounted for 63 percent of the total grapes processed with the remaining 37 percent going for wine The value of the 2012 grape crop is estimated at $52.3 million, 25 percent less than the 2011 crop value. New York ranked third in grape production behind California and Washington.
New York's tart cherry crop is estimated at 2.7 million pounds, a decrease of 54 percent from the 2011 crop of 5.9 million pounds. The value of utilized production is estimated at $2.84 million.
New York sweet cherry production, at 300 tons, decreased 57 percent from the 700 tons produced in 2011. The 2012 crop is valued at $1.07 million compared to $2.11 million a year ago.
Peach production for New York is placed at 2,600 tons, a 62 percent decrease from the 2011 level. The value of the 2012 crop, at $4.02 million, decreased 52 percent from 2011. Production of pears in New York is estimated at 3,100 tons, decreased 74 percent from the 2011 output of 12,100 tons. The 2012 crop is valued at $2.35 million, a decrease of 66 percent from 2011. New York ranks fourth nationally in pear production.