100 Years Ago
In 1913, at the Washington Garage in Jamestown there was an exhibition of low and medium priced cars that would cause auto enthusiasts to pay the place a visit - soon as the news became public. The Studebaker "25," one of the new cars, would attract particular attention on account of the high grade and low price. This car would sell at $885. It was fully equipped, finely upholstered and the workmanship was the same as that in the highest grade of Studebaker cars. Experts had declared that this car embodied all the features that had made the highest priced autos famous. And the Rambler was the auto that had no competitors. The long wheel base, large wheels and luxurious upholstery, the concealed dash lamp, the separate utility wheel, combined with the special motor system, which gave one the advantage of two independent running systems, in fact, every detail that auto owners had longed for, made this car as near perfect as it was possible for the makers to produce.
In Washington, trouble big and little stood in the way of the victorious Democrats. And it might be said without exaggeration that just at present it was the little affairs that were giving the Democratic statesmen the greatest worry. The big things, like reducing the tariff and the high cost of living, suppressing or curbing the trusts, reforming the currency, granting independence to the Philippines and a few more important matters could wait and would involve consideration and debate. But right at hand was the distribution of important places in the federal government, the organization of the senate, the settlement of who would be the big and little bosses and quite a number of lesser things.
75 Years Ago
In 1938, Erie County deputy sheriffs crawled about in a narrow gypsum mine tunnel near Clarence Center, collecting dirt in search of clues to indicate how a 52-year-old miner died there four years previously. Police started the search for new clues after Joseph Wieszorak identified the skeleton found in an abandoned passage of the mine, 55 feet underground, as his brother, Anthony Vinzolak, 52, who disappeared in November 1933. The identity of the skeleton was made through bits of clothing on the bones. Vinzolak, a native of Poland, came to the United States in 1910. He had walked out of the rooming house where he was staying one night and was never seen again. He was a loader in the mines. Vinzolak was separated from his wife and two children. It was learned his wife had died and the whereabouts of the children was unknown. A mine worker stumbled on the skeleton while inspecting the tunnel which had not been used for eight years.
Four youths were arrested Saturday by Chief of Police Merton Pratt of Celoron on charges of breaking into the Lakeview Candy Company's building in the West Lake Road, West Ellicott, early on that morning. According to Chief Pratt, the four boys broke into the candy shop through a delivery door on the side of the building. They were accused of stealing a quantity of candy and money from the cash register. The sum of $28.15 was recovered according to Chief Pratt.
50 Years Ago
In 1963, a boost in 1963 city taxes appeared almost a certainty as Jamestown City Council hastened to complete its budget-making chores by Monday night. There was no official statement on the status of the budget but councilmen were reported glum about any chances of keeping this year's fiscal outlay within the bounds of 1962's record high figure of $6,602,293. Some sort of an upward adjustment in wages for the city's 600 employees also seemed assured.
The sale of the Firestone Store and property at Third and Prendergast in Jamestown to Norman Klickner of Erie, Pa., was announced by company officials. The business would be operated by Mr. Klickner as a home-owned store and would continue to carry Firestone products. The store formerly was owned and operated directly by the Firestone firm. The name of the store would be changed to the Allegany Tire Sales. The Firestone store had been located at 228 E. Third St. since 1943. Prior to 1943, the business was located at East Fourth Street and Prendergast Avenue in a building that was presently occupied by the Greyhound Bus Company.