Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

In Years Past

November 24, 2012
The Post-Journal

In 1912, as a result of a severe explosion of gas in the furnace of the Sheffield school, Professor Harry Weaver was injured, though not seriously, the furnace was wrecked, the pupils and teachers badly frightened and a panic ensued. Houses were shaken in the immediate vicinity. Smelling gas and hearing a roar in the basement, Weaver, whose home was in Clarendon, investigated. He found the gas in the furnace, both on the burner and lighter, out, the roar coming from the mixer where the vapor was burning. A deafening explosion followed. Weaver was hurled back several feet and knocked down. The explosion lifted some of the pupils from their seats. No fire broke out. Order was restored, finally, through the efforts of Weaver, who declined surgical aid until this was accomplished. The school janitor was absent at the time of the explosion.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web