SHERMAN?- Recently the Chautauqua County Municipal Clerks Association held a meeting at the Yorker Museum in Sherman. The Sherman Historical Society hosted an outdoor lunch and, after the clerks held a short business meeting, members of the Historical Society gave tours of all seven museum buildings, which include the Peter Ripley House, the Chapel, the Buggy Shed, the Log Dwelling, the Meeting House, the Nettle Hill School and the Ray Larson General Store.
The Yorker Museum was originally started by five school-age girls and their history teacher, Ms. Genevieve Mattison, in 1946. These "French Creek Yorkers" were a part of the New York State Historical Association. Artifacts were collected from family and friends and the museum began. At one time, 276 Sherman Central School students were members of the Yorkers. Buildings were moved from their original location around town to the current location at the Village Common, with some buildings that date back to the 1750s.
The Yorker Museum is located on the corner of Church Street and Park Street in Sherman and is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. or by appointment.
The Chautauqua County municipal clerks are pictured in front of the Peter Ripley House.
To make an appointment, call Mary Reyda, Sherman Historical Society president, at 761-6503; Roberta Tenpas, vice president, at 761-6659; or Sally Patterson, secretary/treasurer at 761-7767.