Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS


August 16, 2013 - Liz Skoczylas
Have you ever gone missing and not known about it?

I did last night.

My husband was planning on working a 16-hour shift for work yesterday, so I had made plans to go to dinner with a friend I hadn't seen since my wedding. Nick got a bad migraine while at work, though, and came home early, but encouraged me to keep my dinner plans.

In addition to going out to dinner, I had to go to someone else's house, because I had had a jewelry party this past Sunday, and I had to close out the order.

So, I met up with Ally, who was one of my bridesmaids at about 7:15. Before I left, I reminded Nick that I was going to close out my jewelry order after dinner.

Dinner was lovely. But then the jewelry lady sent me a text, pushing back the time we were supposed to meet. I sent Nick a text saying the jewelry lady was running late and my phone was dying. Then, she showed up, and we ended up talking for a long time and catching up. At some point, my phone actually died.

When I got home, it was shortly after 11 p.m. My poor husband was frantic, calling everyone he could think of to call, because I was -- apparently -- missing. After charging my phone and it turning back on, I discovered several voice mails and text messages, begging me to respond.

My phone had been off for roughly an hour.

Nick was not amused. He had bought me a car charger, but I had taken it out of my car to use in his and never put it back. I had just figured he knew where I was going to be and it wouldn't be a big deal. I was apparently wrong.

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad how much we rely on cell phones. I am guilty of tweeting and Facebooking and Snapchatting and Instagramming my life. Being on our cruise for our honeymoon was actually a nice break from being attached to a tiny computer.

I didn't realize that by allowing my cell phone to die, I would fall off the face of the Earth. In Nick's defense, I guess the last text he got from me DID say I was sitting in the dark waiting to meet someone before he couldn't reach me.

Being a missing person for about an hour and a half, even though I didn't know I was missing, was eye opening, though. Nick was very upset, as were several friends. My phone charger has been returned to my own car.


Article Comments



Aug-21-13 6:26 AM

Consider posting this story to Dear Prudence or Dan Savage. Maybe it will get printed with some expert annotations along with it.


Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
Remember my email address.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web